|The Royal Pew was built to provide special
accommodation for Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness Prince
Philip, who attended a special service in the Abbey on 7th July 1972
during which the Pew was dedicated.
Thereafter Her Majesty permitted the Kirk session to designate it the
Royal Pew. The Pew was made by Whytock and Reid of Edinburgh. The Scottish
Royal Coat of Arms was later gifted by Mr and Mrs Harold Hutton and itself
dedicated the following year on 8th July when the Lord Lieutenant of the
County represented the Queen.
The Memorial Chapel
Immediately south of the Royal Pew is the
finely executed Memorial Chapel, initially set apart in memory of the
congregation who fell in action in the two World Wars.
The project was actively
promoted by Rev Robert Dollar, the Minister of the Abbey Church from 1940
The design is by James
Shearer and the Chapel was dedicated in 1952. Every item subsequently
placed within the chapel is gifted in memory of someone.